Our carbon footprint
In August of 2020 we completed our first formal greenhouse gas emissions inventory report. This covers the period from April 1st, 2019 to March 31st, 2020, and aligns our emissions declaration with our financial year. We also established financial year 2019/2020 (FY20) to be our baseline year and have reported our emissions for the previous financial year (FY19).
Where we had previously estimated our emissions and then applied a 2.5 times multiplier, we now have an accurate measurement of the direct and indirect emissions.
We purchased Indigenous forest VERs (Verified Emissions Reduction Units) to achieve a carbon neutral status.
Our GHG Inventory is independently verified by Ekos. (2019, 2020)
Key insights from our emissions report:
- Total emissions across scopes 1, 2, and 3 were just under 20 tons of CO2 equivalent for FY19
- This increased to just over 30 tons of CO2 equivalent for FY20
- At our current headcount this equates to 2.5 tons per FTE for FY20, which is effectively unchanged from FY19.
- Our direct scope 1 and 2 emissions decreased, primarily due to switching to a carbon neutral electricity supplier
- Scope 3 emissions accounted for 94% of the total
- Increased emissions from air travel led to our overall increased emissions.